Sunday, September 13, 2009

Welcome Great Pumpkin!

Linus awaits the Great Pumpkin.Image via Wikipedia

Halloween is like Christmas to me. I await the Great Pumpkin on Halloween's Eve, waiting for him to drop down my chimney with his presents wrapped in gold Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and silver York Peppermint Patties.

I assign Halloween names to the members of my family. I become Scary Bones. My husband Tim is Grim Bones. Holly turns into Hollow Bones. And April finally transforms into October Bones.

Here are a few of my favorite Halloween things:

Reading Halloween books to my girls, like Here They Come and Goodnight Goon.

Making crafts with the nouveau riche Halloween colors: bright purple, neon green, and magenta. No more just black bats, orange pumpkins, and white ghosts. Crafts are now all about witches' striped stockings, pink and black skull and crossbones, and bedazzled goblins.

Halls Fast Relief Ginger Ale cough drops. I even look forward to colds because that means I get to soothe my cough with these and get in an extra nap. Or two.

Fun-sized candy. A comedian whose name escapes me asked, "Are these candy bars really the size of fun?" To me they are. Especially when we skip the regular size and buy the whole bag, knowing, like Lay's potato chips, we can't stop at just one.

Day after Halloween marked-down candy. It's like sugary irony to buy candy after our houses are filled to the crown moulding with lollipops, Snicker bars and that awful candy corn that I hate but my girls love. In fact, we walk down the aisles thinking if we see another Spongebob candy crabby patty, we're gonna puk....hey wait! Is that fun-size Nestle crunch bars 75% off? SCORE!



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


No comments:

Post a Comment