Friday, August 28, 2009

Boo-Boo and Uno

NEW YORK - FEBRUARY 12:  Uno, a 15inch Beagle ...Image by Getty Images via Daylife

From Compassionate Friends.org:

"It is said that when your parents die, you lose your past; when your spouse
dies, you lose your present; and when your child dies, you lose your future.
However, when your sibling dies, you lose your past, your present, and your
future. After all, the relationship between siblings is potentially the longest
of their lives."


The last conversation I had with my brother was, oddly enough, about a blog I kept called Astrophysicist Barbie's Microscope (Yes, I know the name was too long hence the change). I wanted him and my family to check out what I've been posting for two years. He died of a brain aneurysm on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at the age of 46.

He was brain dead before he got to the hospital, but they kept a breathing tube on him until his organs were harvested. He may not have donated a heart on Valentine's Day, but he was able to give away his corneas, kidneys, liver and pancreas. He still gave the gift of life on a day we celebrate love.


One thing I remember as a child is him always bringing home a dog, be it a labrador or cocker spaniel. On that Wednesday, I suddenly had an urge to get a dog. Maybe it was that lovely beagle Uno who won Best in Show that year, and his charismatic appearance on Studio B with Shepard Smith.

Later that week we got a male Maltese puppy which Holly named Fluffy.


My nickname for my big brother was Boo-Boo, because I couldn't pronounce "Bruce" as a toddler. My nick name was Tater, after the baby in the comic strip Barney Google and Snuffy Smith.

And that's what he always called me, until the last time I spoke with him. Here's to Boo-Boo. May you rest in peace.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment